Application Deadline: February 10, 2017
Study Program: PhD programme
Host/ Country: German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)/Germany
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is inviting CARTA fellows from the Eastern Africa region to apply for PhD scholarships. Funding is generally granted for a period of 3 years.
CARTA’s objective of producing a critical mass of high-quality graduates trained to address complex issues surrounding health and development in Africa, retain them in the region, and provide them with a vibrant intellectual environment as well as viable and challenging research and growth opportunities.
The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) is a south-south partnership with a south-north collaboration jointly led by the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC), Kenya, and the University of Witwatersrand (Wits), South Africa.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: The long-term impacts of the scholarships are: strengthening teaching and research at higher education institutions in Eastern Africa region, solving development issues in the region and strengthening universities, research institutes and research networks in Eastern Africa, and contributing to the establishment of regional networks between these institutions.
Scholarship Award: The funding includes:
- Stipends covering the cost of living including accommodation
- Fees including cost of research and academic monitoring, tutorial and other support, university registration and tuition fees
- Health insurance
- Optional research stay in German for up to six months
Scholarship can be taken in Eastern Africa region
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applicants must be CARTA fellows in the Eastern Africa region.
- Applications are only open to those who are in the very early stages of the PhD programme.
- They must demonstrate the strong commitment to research capacity building at their institutions as well as the potential for research leadership.
- The last degree of the applicant must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- The applicant must be a citizen of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Eligible Nationality: Citizen of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa (Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applications are only open to those who are in the very early stages of the PhD programme.
English language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply:
Application documents should be submitted to the CARTA Program Manager; carta-at-aphrc.org and copied to applications-at-daadafrica.org by 11:59 PM (Nairobi Time) on or before February 10, 2017. The email should have on the subject line: Application for 2017 DAAD Scholarship.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A 10-15 page PhD proposal related to health and development with a detailed work plan
- Abstract of the proposal on one page
- Signed CV (please use Europass CV template)
- Certified copies of all university degrees and transcripts
- Admission letter or an official letter assuring admission. The letter should include a fee structure
- Recommendation letter by the head of the department indicating that you are a staff member and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university.
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is February 10, 2017.