In order to study in Shanghai, Shanghai Municipal Education Commission has founded the Shanghai Government Scholarships for International Students. It is established to fund excellent international students to pursue bachelor’s degree or above at higher educational institutions in Shanghai.
Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship was established in 2006 with the aims to enhance the development of international student education in Shanghai and encourage more and more outstanding international students and scholars to ECNU.
Shanghai Government Scholarship is for the excellent international students who apply for the undergraduate, graduate or PhD program at Shanghai. Applicants for the undergraduate program without a qualified HSK level can apply for a one-year pre-college program to study Chinese with full scholarship sponsored. If the applicant still cannot achieve the qualified HSK level after the pre-college program, the applicant will be graduated as a language student.
East China Normal University (ECNU) is recognized as one of Shanghai’s top public research universities under the patronage of the Ministry of Education, and is included in China’s national education projects, “Project 211” and “Project 985”. It was formed in 1951 with the merger of the Great China University founded in 1924 and Kwang Hua University established in 1925, and was joined at the same time by a number of faculty members from the St. John’s College, Fudan University, Tongji University, and Zhejiang University. In 1959, ECNU was officially declared as one of the first of the 16 national universities leading in China’s higher education; its status was re-affirmed in 1978.
Check the official website for details. Funding available for bachelor’s degree or above at higher educational institutions in Shanghai.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and in good health.
- Applicants for pre-college program must have high school diploma and be under 23.
- Applicants for bachelor degree program must have high school diploma and be under 25.
- Applicants for master degree program must have bachelor degree and be under 35.
- Applicants for doctoral degree program must have master degree and under 40.
- Students that have won the Chinese Government Scholarship or any scholarship offered by other organizations are not entitled to apply SGS.
Eligible Regions: Open for All except Chinese citizens
- Applicants shall apply directly to the Higher Educational Institutes in Shanghai once an academic year.
- Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements could apply continuously.
- Applications are accepted from January. For the specific application deadlines, applicants should consult the relevant Higher Educational Institutes.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2019