Application Deadline: 17th November 2017
About the Fellowships: The programme, launched in June 2011, responds to a shortage of experienced faculty in African higher education. The Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa program provides fellowships to nurture the intellectual development and increase retention of early-career faculties in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda.
The fellowships are:
- Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship
- Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Fellowship
- Doctoral Dissertation Completion Fellowship
Offered annually? Yes
Field of Study: The fellowships support dissertations and research on peace, security and development topics.
The doctoral dissertation research fellowship supports 6-12 months of dissertation research costs of up to US$15,000 on a topic related to peace, security, and development.
Proposal development fellowships are intended to support doctoral students working on developing a doctoral dissertation research proposal as well as students who recently completed a master’s degree and seek to enroll in a Ph.D. program.
The doctoral dissertation completion fellowship supports a one-year leave from teaching responsibilities and a stipend up to US$15,000 to permit the completion of a dissertation that advances research on peace, security, and development topics.
The programme assists fellows to develop research opportunities and skills, obtain doctoral degrees, and participate in robust research communities. Toward this end, the project features a thematic focus in order to renew basic research agendas addressing peace, security, and development topics as well as strengthen interdisciplinary social science research capacity on these issues.
Offered Since: June 2011
Type: Research, Fellowship
Strong proposals will offer clear and concise descriptions of the project and its significance. Proposals should display a thorough knowledge of the relevant social science literature that applicants will engage and the methodologies relevant to the project. In addition, applicants must demonstrate that all proposed activities are feasible and can be completed in a timely manner. All proposals will be evaluated for these criteria by an independent, international committee of leading scholars from a range of social science disciplines.
Fellows must be willing to attend two workshops sponsored by the SSRC each year that is intended to help early-career faculty produce scholarly publications. We anticipate awarding as many as 45 fellowships in total across all categories each year.
All candidates must:
- be citizens of and reside in a sub-Saharan African country
- hold a master’s degree
- be enrolled in a Ph.D. program at an accredited university in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda
- have an approved dissertation research proposal
As of May 2015, the program prioritizes applicants holding a faculty position or demonstrating a durable commitment to higher education, but does not restrict eligibility to such individuals.
The program seeks to promote diversity and encourages women to apply.
Number of Fellowships: 45 fellowships are awarded each year.
Value of Fellowships:
- The doctoral dissertation research fellowship supports research costs of up to US$15,000 on a topic related to peace, security, and development.
- The doctoral dissertation proposal fellowship supports short-term research costs of up to US$3,000 to develop a doctoral dissertation proposal.
- The doctoral dissertation completion fellowship supports a one-year leave from teaching responsibilities and a stipend up to US$15,000 to permit the completion of a dissertation that advances research on peace, security, and development topics.
Duration of Fellowship: Fellowships are offered each year. The doctoral dissertation research fellowship is about 6-12 months
Eligible Countries: Citizens of and reside in a sub-Saharan African country while holding a current faculty position at an accredited college or university in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda
How to Apply:
- Apply for Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship
- Apply for Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Fellowship
- Apply for Doctoral Dissertation Completion Fellowship
Award Sponsors: Social Science Research Council
For more scholarships and other offers click here.